Whether you are looking to roast Marrow Bones to consume as a meal or whether you are wanting to make bone broth out of them, this post has you covered!

This was my outset time e'er having Roasted Bone Marrow. Bluntly, I had ZERO idea what to expect.

All I knew is I had to endeavour it, because well, information technology'southward allegedly the highest, bestest, supremest brain nutrient that is available out there, it's super nutrient dumbo, does admittedly awesome things for your body and yadi yadi ya. Plus, well, I had some in the freezer from my previous beef order. Now it was either me who was gonna go it, or the dogs.

I figured I owed it to myself to at least give it a try…

While doing a little bit of research on the subject area, I happened to learn that, apparently, this would be Anthony Bourdain'south dish option for his concluding and ultimate meal.

Uhm, I idea to myself. Surely, if a human deems this dish worthy of having as his final meal, then information technology has to be some kind of undervalued treasure, an exquisite effeminateness of some sort. Or at the very to the lowest degree, a more acceptable fare…

All that data was more than than enough to convince me that I NEEDED not but to try bone marrow, just I needed to LIKE IT.
And so began the great Roasted Bone Marrow experiment…

Marrow Bone | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

It is said that one should try and select bones that are fairly large with big thick tubes of marrow. And they shouldn't exist besides tall either, because then it would make information technology really hard to become all of that precious marrow out.

Of course, one could e'er get their butcher to slice them in half for them. Or one could as well get the long, narrow basic that normally come pre-sliced.

Marrow Bone | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Sprinkle the bones generously on both sides with salt and pepper and fix them on a baking sail. Some fat will leak out during cooking, so brand sure that your blistering canvass has a little bit of a rim to it 'cuz you lot wouldn't want to lose a drib of that precious fat!

That, or, yous wouldn't want it to end up at the bottom of your oven, now would you?

Roasted Bone Marrow | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

The bones need to roast at a adequately high temperature, for nigh 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness.

You lot want to have them out of the oven when they go nicely crispy and gilded and the marrow becomes soft and starts to bubble a little chip. Be careful not to overdo the cooking, or your marrow will stop up completely melted down. The marrow, when done roasting, should be enjoyably warm but not exactly hot.

Roasted Bone Marrow | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Looks like it'southward ready… let'due south dig in! THIS, is what Roasted Os Marrow looks like.

It has a soft, slightly gelled, fat, flossy texture… uhmmmm, my fork seems happy, but my mouth is really not sure.

I tin can't say that I was really looking frontward to tasting it, just hey, after I'd gotten this far, I wasn't almost to dorsum out.

So I took the fork to my mouth. Hmpft. Information technology has a soft, slightly gelatinous, fatty, creamy texture… and a taste that I really couldn't describe. Seriously. I cannot find a unmarried word.

All I know is, I'thousand not a fan… yet!

Withal, I tried some other seize with teeth but that was the end of this experiment for me. Oh, I'm not saying that I'm totally giving up on the idea of eating / liking bone marrow. I'yard saying that it's probably an acquired taste. Ane that I WILL learn. Only not today.

For the time being, we will be putting these basic to good use and all the same benefit from all of the marrow'south super powers by turning it into a luscious broth.

Oh, but by all means, if YOU have acquired the sense of taste already and savour eating Roasted Bone Marrow, exercise yourself a favor and go to town before you get through with the following steps!

Roasted Bone Marrow Broth | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Dump all of your Roasted Bones into a large saucepan or stockpot. Don't forget all the precious fat that's at the bottom of your baking sheet!

That's liquid gold for ya… and flavor galore right at that place!

Roasted Bone Marrow Broth | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Throw in the residuum of the ingredients, namely salt, pepper, pickling spice, a carrot that you lot've broken into two or 3 pieces, a celery rib which has been given the same treatment, an onion, skin and all, cut into quarters, a few cloves of garlic and a handful of [non so fresh anymore as you tin see] parsley

Oh, and viii cups of water, too!

Roasted Bone Marrow Broth | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Later 60 to ninety minutes of simmering time, you will want to strain your stock through a fine mesh sieve, then let it sit for a few minutes, only to make sure that yous get every terminal driblet of stock out of this.

Notice how all the marrow has disappeared, leaving nothing but a gaping hole in the eye of that bone? That's a proficient thing. It means that it's now IN your goop.

Roasted Bone Marrow Broth | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Now for the sense of taste test…

It smells fantastic, I can already tell yous that much. Merely let's pour ourselves a nice loving cup of that delightful warm broth.

Now THAT, I like! It has a assuming yet very mild and even delicate flavor to it, if that's even possible… and in the mouth, it actually feels super smooth and silky. This will exist a very good manner for me to brand friends with the flavor of Roasted Bone Marrow.

And then we'll start working on texture. And in the event that texture and I never see center to center, at to the lowest degree I know I have this alternative that I can resort to.

Roasted Bone Marrow Broth | by Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Served with a few pieces of Home Made Beef Hasty, this goop makes for a delightful, tasty and satisfying mid-afternoon snack.

But of grade, you can very well use that goop in your favorite soups and various recipes. On that idea, I am completely sold. From now on, I can guarantee that I will cull Bone Goop over Chicken Stock whatever day. Without then much as a moment's hesitation!

Although anytime, hopefully, that Marrow will exist long gone earlier the bones make information technology to the stockpot.

Roasted Os Marrow / Broth

Whether you are looking to roast Marrow Bones to eat as a meal or whether you lot are wanting to make bone goop out of them, this post has you covered!

Servings: four cups

For the Roasted Os Marrow

  • 1 lb grassfed beef marrow bones
  • Salt & pepper to gustatory modality

For the Bone Broth

  • 8 cups water
  • 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
  • 1 tsp pickling spice
  • ane/ii tsp Himalayan salt
  • i big carrot, cleaved into 2-3 pieces
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1 onion, cut into large chunks
  • i celery rib, broken into two-iii pieces
  • a handful fresh parsley

To make the Roasted Bone Marrow

  • Preheat the oven to 425°F

  • Identify the marrow bones on a blistering sheet and sprinkle liberally with table salt and pepper (on both sides, please!)

  • Roast basic in the oven for about x-xv minutes, until they turn golden and marrow becomes soft and only barely starts to melt. You desire to have them out of the oven when they become nicely crispy and golden and the marrow becomes soft and starts to bubble a petty flake. Exist careful not to overdo the cooking, or your marrow will end up completely melted down. The marrow, when done, should be enjoyably warm simply not exactly hot.

  • Remove to a plate and serve with a side of fresh leafy greens, or continue with broth making

To make the broth

  • Add together the roasted bones along with all the rest of the ingredients to a large bucket or stockpot.

  • Bring to a roaring oil so lower oestrus, partly cover and simmer for ane to i½ hours, until the flavor of the broth is to your liking.

  • Strain through a fine mesh sieve and serve, or utilize in your favorite soups/recipes.

Calories: 186 kcal , Carbohydrates: 6 g , Protein: 2 g , Fat: 17 g , Saturated Fat: i grand , Sodium: 336 mg , Potassium: 130 mg , Fiber: i g , Sugar: 2 g , Vitamin A: 2642 IU , Vitamin C: four mg , Calcium: 41 mg , Fe: one mg

If you lot've tried this recipe, please have a minute to rate the recipe and allow me know how things went for y'all in the comments below. It's always such a pleasure to hear from yous!

You lot can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and TWITTER for more than delicious, healthy recipes!

You tin can besides make bone goop SUPER easily in a slow cooker. Here'due south how!

Still not sure about os broth? Read this in-depth guide to all the benefits